To establish the place the organization of the First Baptist Church, Columbus, holds in the Baptist movement in Mississippi, it is interesting to note that the beginning of Baptists in the northern part of the state was at a much later date than that of the southern part. The first Baptist church organized in Mississippi was in Jefferson County, probably in the summer of 1789; the church was called Salem. A second Baptist church, called New Hope, was organized in Adams County about 1800.
It was not until after the treaty with the U. S. Government requiring the Chickasaw and Choctaw Indians to move from this section of the State, that land was available. The Choctaws moved from Lowndes County in 1832, and the land office was established for the sale of the lands in the Choctaw purchase.
It was in this year, 1832, that our Church was organized by the second pastor, Dr. George Tucker, under whose direction the church building was constructed in 1838-1840… This first church was a handsome structure, and from and architectural standpoint, was considered perfect. During the War Between the States [the Civil War], it was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers.
The above information is sited from the booklet, “History of the First Baptist Church, Columbus Mississippi, 1832-1964,” located in the Local History Department with the call# LH 286 His.
Note: The present church building replaced the old in 1908, and the adjacent Educational Building was built in 1928, and is still located on Seventh St. North, between Second and Third Avenues.