The latest postcard to be donated to the Billups-Garth Archives is from 1908 and shows a woman with butterfly-type wings standing underneath the words “Greetings from Columbus, Miss.”
Inside each of her four wings is an image of either a business or building that represented the city’s progress and industry. Images include the main dormitories at the Industrial Institute and College (Mississippi University for Women) along with the buidling Poindexter or the “Temple of Music”, the Columbus Compress and Warehouse Company, and the Gilmer Hotel.
The postcard has been added to the Lowndes County Postcard Collection (MS 232 Box 1).
The staff of the archives is currently working on digitizing the postcard collection in order to have the Lowndes County postcards accessible on the Mississippi Digital Library (http://www.msdiglib.org/).