The newest postcard donated to the archives is one of the Commercial Hotel, once located on College Street. The postcard dates from around 1910 based on the appearance of the streetcar tracks that pass right in front of the hotel.
The Commercial Hotel was built in 1898 by Thomas J. Gunter. In 1940, Gus and Jim Talantis remodeled the structure and renamed it the Alexandra Hotel. In 1969, the building was torn down to make way for a parking lot.
One can also see in the postcard to the left of the hotel the back of the former McGowen and Pegues Furniture Store building that stood at 202 Fifth Street South (to the right of present-day Hollyhocks Gift Shop). This building later burned and is the current site of Leadership Plaza.
This postcard has been added to MS 232 Lowndes County Postcard Collection box 1. It is also slated for inclusion on the Mississippi Digital Library and will be available for viewing online within the next few months.