The New Hope High School Collection is now open for research at the Billups-Garth Archives. The collection consists of athletic programs from 1988-1994 (not consecutive), the student newspaper Echo from 1948-1998 (not consecutive), one August 2000 issue of the newspaper The Cutting Edge, photographs of the boys and girls basketball teams from 1988, and 2 scrapbooks about the school covering the 1960s and 1970s.
The collection was processed, or organized, this past Fall semester by Mississippi University for Women history student Kevin Rowland as part of his Capstone Project to graduate with a bachelors degree.
New Hope High School first opened its’ doors on September 4, 1923. It was created from the merger of the following schools: Mount Vernon, Little Hope, McCrary, Windham, and Dunbar. The school included both high school courses as well as a grammar school. The land to build the school was given by G.D. McKellar.
The first two buildings constructed were made of brick veneer and comprised of nine classrooms with an auditorium in one and a gymnasium in the other. J.E. Vaughn served as the school’s first principal.
The first four school buses were built by Charlie Gaston in 1923 out of Model-T automobiles that could carry 35-40 children each.
The first graduating class consisted of one graduate, James Cooper, and the second year there were seven graduates.
To view this collection (MS 428) you can visit us at the Columbus-Lowndes Public Library, call 662-329-5304, or email us at mvance@Lowndes.lib.ms.us.